Marvelwood's commitment to wellness reflects the School's understanding that a healthy mind and body enhance success factors in academics and in life. The School continually adapts its programming to reflect the changing needs of adolescents.
Wellness at Marvelwood
Like our approach to academics, we know that wellness is not a “one size fits all” curriculum. We seek to incorporate wellness and mindfulness into many different aspects of the Marvelwood experience, encouraging and empowering all members of our community to understand and guide their own well-being. Community members are introduced to a variety of approaches to wellness. Space and opportunity are created for individuals to discover what methods and approaches work best for them as they work through challenges, focus on their physical and mental health, and integrate their learning and healing to become the best versions of themselves. Our goal is to plant the seeds and provide the tools that will allow each person to develop the tools and understanding to identify and address their own unique wellness needs.
Some of the many ways in which wellness is thoughtfully and intentionally incorporated into our programming include:
- In both academic classes and elective courses like “Mindfulness and Mediation,” students enjoy opportunities for brief or extended self-checks throughout the school day.
- Our Advisory curriculum includes weekly check-ins that focus on proactive practices of introspection, goal-setting, reflection, and communication geared to finding success both in and out of the classroom.
- Several weeks each term, Enrichment workshops and special events address various topics including healthy relationships, nutrition, cooking, yoga and mindfulness, digital citizenship, hidden history, and more.
- After-school programming provides daily opportunities for exercise, physical activity, intensive engagement in the arts, or meditative work in the garden. Coaches and supervisors work to instill the values of teamwork, sportsmanship, positive self-talk, goal-setting, and resiliency.
- Cultural and social awareness initiatives like IDEAS and CASA challenge all members of our school community to question and reflect intentionally upon the way we see the world, how and why we may categorize and judge others both consciously and unconsciously, and how to expand our understanding as we work to become better, more thoughtful, and deeply committed global citizens.
- In all of their work with students, Marvelwood’s faculty and staff endeavor to strike a balance that teaches resilience and grit in an atmosphere of empathy and genuine understanding of each individual’s strengths and challenges.
Freshman Academy is designed for our youngest students to support their transition to high school. The series of discussion-based workshops focus on on subjects that are not taught in the classroom, but are elements of a student's daily life. We are committed to educating the whole student and understand the value of providing students with the knowledge, guidance, and support necessary to make informed, educated, and healthy life choices. Freshman Academy is conducted in a relaxed setting which allows students to come and learn and ask questions.
- Preparing for exams
- Community building
- Substance abuse
- Sex education
- Building strong relationships
- Healthy eating
DECISIONS Health & Wellness