Naviance WorkspaceK12 is a valuable organizational tool which when used properly allows counselors, parents and students to coordinate vast amounts of information and stay abreast of each student's progress as he or she moves through the application process. Naviance is an interactive web-based program which can help you research prospective colleges, organize your options and documents and keep track of what you have and have not done. Like all tools, it must be used correctly in order to be effective. Below are some tips for making Naviance work for you.
For detailed instructions, including log-in direction, on how to connect to the Naviance Network, please refer to Marvelwood's College Counseling handbook. Marvelwood's Naviance log-in page can be found at http://connection.naviance.com/marvelwood.
The Common Application
('Common App') is one of the most useful tools available for streamlining the undergraduate application process. The Common App is a non-profit membership organization providing reliable services that promote equity, access, and integrity in the college application process. It serves students, member institutions and secondary schools by providing a single application – online or in print – that can be submitted to more than 460 schools. Member colleges and universities range from small, relatively non-competitive colleges to big universities and the Ivy League. The Common App covers public and private institutions in every region of the country and has begun admitting international members.
Registering for the Common App is easy and free. Refer to Marvelwood's College Guide for more detailed instructions. Students can register at anytime, but must wait to put in college information until July 1st.
Important Common Application Tips
- Create one account only, especially for students using outside consultants.
- Give your username and password to your College Counselor for safe keeping.
- Marvelwood's CEEB (College Entrance Examination Board) number is 070117. You will need this frequently for applications and testing.
- Save and check for errors often. The program will not let you submit unless all required fields are completed correctly.
- Remember to save your responses continually.
- Ask parents to assist in filling in the Familysection.
- Fill in Athletic and Art supplements only if you have the required supporting documents.
- Use Marvelwood as your mailing address.
- Colleges are looking for well-rounded students. On page four, include as many activities as you can: sports (12 hours/week, 10 weeks/season), community service (3 hours/week, 30 hours/year), student government, prefect, tour guide, arts, music, volunteer and paid jobs. A new feature this year allows you to prioritize you activities as you list them.
- Get your teacher recommendation requests in early.
- Spend time on the essay – it's often the only way college admissions counselors get to know the real you and what makes you tick!
- PAY ATTENTION TO DEADLINES AND DON'T MISS THEM!
- APPLY EARLY!
April 24th is the last day to register for the May SAT. There is an additional fee associated with registering at this time.