The Marvelwood School Opens New Admission & Advancement Center
Marvelwood recently completed a renovation of the Skiff House, one of the oldest buildings on its campus, to become The Edwin & Ann Sundt House, the new home of the School’s Admission and Advancement offices.
The house, built around 1800, originally belonged to various members of the Skiff family, including long-time resident Peter Skiff, who owned and lived in the home until his passing in 1927, at age 102. Several additions over the subsequent years enlarged the building significantly. Since 1995, when Marvelwood moved from Cornwall, CT to their location on Skiff Mountain, the house has served as the residence of the Head of School. With the approval of the Board of Trustees, Marvelwood’s newest Head of School Blythe Everett P’14, ’16 decided to repurpose the building for the Admission and Advancement departments.
“The Sundts were beloved teachers of English during their five-year tenure at Marvelwood from 1963-1967, and this group of 17 alumni donors chose to honor their legacy by creating a space that would welcome prospective students to the Marvelwood family and continue to serve them as alumni in the years well beyond their graduation,” says Advancement Director Glenn Sanchez P’18, ‘19. Sanchez reports that from start to finish, the fundraising campaign and the renovation of the house took just seven months to complete.
The new space accommodates both the Admission and Advancement offices, as well as a reception area and lounges. A full kitchen, spacious sun porch, and large backyard and patio will continue to allow students and faculty to make use of the house’s facilities for special events, meals, meetings, and extracurricular activities.
Marvelwood plans a formal dedication of the Sundt House as part of this year’s Reunion Weekend in June.